Monday, April 6, 2009

Decorating Ideas, please

We are in full fledge spring cleaning mode around our house.

All but one of my students cancelled tutoring this week because of Spring Break, and I couldn't be more excited about it. Yes we need the money, but I have to say that I think I needed the break more. I plan to clean, clean, clean until this house is as spotless and organized as it can possibly be with a toddler running around.

We spent all of this past weekend on the downstairs because my parents are spending the night with us tonight. We are a good stopping place on their way to my cousin's wedding in Tampa, and it made for a great excuse to whip the downstairs into shape. I wish I had a before picture of the downstairs guest bedroom, but instead use your imaginations to picture coupons and scissors and newspapers covering every square inch of the room. Here is the after picture.
We also finally hung wooden blinds on our front door. The "temporary" paper blinds that were on the front door were one of the most depressing things I have ever seen, so Scott spent all of Saturday morning on that project. (We had to make two trips to Home Depot before we got the correct size). Here is the after, and I am so relieved to have it done. It puts in a good mood just thinking about it.Okay, so then I started snapping pictures of the rest of the house, and there are so many things that still need to be done. Here's the dilemma, we don't have any money to spend on anything. Our house is filled with hand-me-downs and Ikea, craigslist, and garage sale purchases, and there is not much that I can do to change that. But I am wondering if I can "re-vamp" things a bit just by rearranging. Here is what we are working with.

Obviously, we need to finish painting--when that will happen, I don't know. Probably not until summer because for now there is just not time. This week would be the week, but I really need to focus on cleaning before I can focus on painting.

Okay, so other obvious things--some sort of window treatments and a bigger coffee table. Here is the question about the coffee table. Until we can purchase a bigger one, should I do away with a coffee table all together, and find another use for the table we are currently using? Or should I just make the smaller one work?

Next question. I would love to do some sort of buffet or longer table underneath the window to the kitchen. You know, the area beside the love seat. Again, however, I cannot purchase that right now, but I am not sure if I am liking the small square table beside the love seat. What do you think? And finally about that area, should I take down the black frames and replace them with a big picture? I have an antique map of England that I could hang there instead. What do you think?

Okay, I have more questions, but Ada is losing it, and I need to get ready to go to the library, so I will be back later to discuss this some more. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

5 comments:

Sarah Garner said...

LB I love your house! I like you fireplace decorations. My favorite is the guest room. It looks great. I love to rearrange my furniture. You might like it better if you just move it around. Sometimes I end up with stuff in the same places but at least I like it better :)

Amanda said...

Well you know how much I love your maps! I def. think you should hang them somewhere in that room so people can see them. As far as the coffee table goes, do you have two side tables that are identical that you could put side by side instead of one table?
Also, you could move the couch to the center of the room facing the TV and move the big chair to the left if you are looking in from the front door. But Ada may like all that running around room in the center. Just thinking it wouldn't make the coffee table look as small if the space/area were a little smaller.

Amanda said...

Ok I had another thought. Why don't you use the big ottoman as the coffee table! I love those! and yours is perfect for that big couch. I realize that you use that as an Ada buffer with the T.V. so that may not work. But, you could get a tray to put on the ottoman and use it as a hard surface for drinks and stack some books on it.

Suehaad said...

you asked and i'm always one to freely give my opinion:) keep the coffee table-it totally works for the size of your space. paint, paint, paint as soon as you can because you will feel like the house is complete. buffet-not necessary because it's kind of fun to be able to walk over to the opening and talk to you/peek over. guest room looks absolutely fabulous-just needs a few flowers. maybe you could put those old ones from college in there? hee. hee.

Ashley said...

You know, you have plenty of space to pull the couch and chair out away from the walls. All of those fun design shows on HGTV always mention bringing furniture in, away from walls, to make it more cozy and conversation-friendly. Might make your coffee table "fit" better.