Saturday, October 3, 2009

Saturday

I am spending this gorgeous, gorgeous Saturday inside, and it is killing me. I have all the blinds open, so the sun light can stream in, but that is not the same as fresh fall air. I may have to open the windows.

Why am I inside. Because there is much to do before John arrives. I am in full project mode as I try to whip this house into shape before February. And after discussing with mom and Ann, I really am trying to whip it into shape before Thanksgiving. I want to fully enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I would like to rest as much as possible during those last few weeks before he arrives, so October and November will be the months to get things done.

What's on my list? I still have to finish painting downstairs. And I will make it happen. I need to paint John's room, and I need to move furniture from Scottsboro and Crossville to our house. There is a baby bed and bedding at mom's house that will go in John's room. We are moving Ada's chest of drawers and changing table into John's room, and I am getting Ann's old glider to also go in John's room. For now, I have decided to put the twin bed in his room for those nights I just need to crawl into that bed after a late night feeding. Scott's mom has a piece of furniture that I plan to put in Ada's room that will hopefully hold the clothes that are now in the drawers, and there is a shelf in our "junk room" that needs to be painted white that will also go in Ada's room. For now, to keep the stress and money to a minimum, we have decided to simply remove the side of Ada's bed and keep her room just as it is (except for the furniture switching). So...there's the list. Not to mention all the clothes sorting I am doing. Oh my word, Ada had some clothes as a baby. I can't believe the piles.

And what did I get done today? Well, last night I scrubbed the master bathroom, so it is now shiny clean. I love that feeling. And I spent the morning (several hours!!) cleaning out Ada's room. Her closet and drawers were full of outgrown clothes, and her room was full of clutter. Not anymore. Only clothes that currently fit her are still in the closet and drawers, and all clutter has been removed (temporarily placed in above mentioned junk room until I can sort through it all). Next, I am going to organize the master bedroom. I also took a few minutes to go through magazines and clean those out. Truly, I am in organization mode. Nesting, perhaps?

It was my morning to sleep in. (Scott takes Sunday mornings because he stays up late on Saturdays watching and thinking about football). I couldn't sleep in, though. I woke up sick to my stomach, but I knew the real culprit was hunger. So, I pleaded with Scott, and we ended up at Gritz--a local restaurant on the square, and it was delicious. It hit the spot. Scott and I both ordered omelets and grits, but Ada ate every bite of our grits, so we had to order an extra side of them!! Ada is southern through and through--she loves her grits. I felt like Ada desperately needed to be outside in the fresh air (and out of the house so I could tackle her room), so she and Scott dropped me off at the house, and they spent the morning at a local park.

And now I am procrastinating. But, I must get this room cleaned. And the list of projects goes on and on. But one thing at a time, right?

I hope you are able to spend some time outside today. Happy October Saturday, everyone!!

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Today has been beautiful. I've had the windows and doors open all day. Isn't if fun to say "John's room". I noticed you said it (typed it) a lot in that post! So fun!

Jenny said...

I've been hit with the organization bug too! We're in the process of switching Andrew's room to his big-boy room, getting the baby's room ready, and it's not a one-day thing!
Good point about having it done before Thanksgiving, that's a good goal, I'll set it too!
I want to scrub my house from top to bottom before baby comes, but we'll see if it actually happens!
Good luck with the work, and don't wear yourself out!

Bethany said...

I immediately thought "nesting" as I was reading your post! ;) I LOVE painting, so if you need any help, let me know. Seriously!

We are pretty wide open this week (except for Monday, which I know is your busy day). So, just shoot me an email or call when you want to come over. It will be fun for the girls to get together too!

rhodes1 said...

I've been thinking lately that I really want to come visit you, because its been a while since I've been to your house and since I've seen Ada. So, look for me in one of the next couple of weekends, and maybe I can take Ada and you can get some work done!

LB said...

Amanda--your comment made me laugh because I realized that I used "John's room" three times in one sentence. I suppose I do like saying it:) The English teacher in me really wanted to go back and edit, but I resisted.

Sarah--we would love for you to come visit. And maybe we could sneak away one night for a fun dinner in Atlanta.