Saturday, October 10, 2009

to Auburn I go

Tomorrow I am driving to Auburn to pick up my mother who is coming to stay with me for a week!!

Once Tutti and I were talking about our mothers and how they swoop in just when we need them to help us out. Tutti said it makes her think, "The Calvary is coming," which I thought was the perfect description. Isn't that how it feels? No matter how old I get, there are times that I just need my mother to come in and save the day (and often Ann is right there with her, quickly coming to my aid. In fact, along with Scott, they were both in the delivery room on the day that Ada was born, and I guarantee they will be there when John comes).

Well, a few weekends ago when I was home for the class reunion, I was revealing my stress over John coming and all that had to be done, and next thing I know, mom is planning a trip to help me out. We plan to organize, organize, organize this week, so that I can get on the task of painting and furnishing.

My mother currently drives the toyota corolla that my parents bought for me when I turned 16. I think it is many years old. Maybe a '95? Well, though that thing is running surprisingly strong, she feels better driving the familiar roads to Auburn (just in case), and I will pick her up in my newer car to bring her to Atlanta. I am loving the excuse to make a trip to Auburn, where I will eat lunch with mom and Kate, and hopefully get in a visit with my dear friend Amy Speakman Hendrix. It should be a fun day.

I also plan to leave Ada here with Scott, so that I won't have to deal with nap time at an unfamiliar place. Won't Ada be thrilled when I show up with "Near!!"

So, if I am absent for a few days, its because I am busy taking advantage of my mother's help. I am sure I will stop in to report on the progress though. Until then...

p.s. thanks to Bethany, today I bought two pumpkins for 2.50 a piece. I was so happy to add a piece of fall to my front porch. Next Scott needs to hang my fall wreath (bought on clearance at the end of the season last year), and fall will be in session here at our house. I am hoping to find a few more deals at Pier 1 at the end of this season, so that next year I will be even more festive. I love clearance items. Have you noticed?

3 comments:

Bethany said...

I am so glad to hear that your mom is coming! It's amazing how much better one can feel when their mom comes to save the day! Won't it be nice when our children are grown and we can do the same "swooping" in? :)

Glad you were able to pick up some pumpkins!!! I also went to Walker Nursery (off of Walt Stephens) and picked up the most gorgeous mums for $5.99. They are HUGE! I was later at Lowe's and saw the same size for $21!! BTW...you can plant the mums in the ground after they are used for decorative purposes and they will (hopefully) come back in the spring. :)

joy said...

That is crazy about the haircut! Great minds think alike! (ours always have-dangerously so!) Miss you! Good luck with the haircut and tell little JOhn to be good to his mommy!

Amanda said...

Great progress! And I really think it is a blessing to have that much space for such fun play areas for Ada.
Also, PLEASE post your hair cut pictures when you get back. I'm getting mine cut Sat. and don't know what I'm going to do. I need some inspiration.