Thursday, October 8, 2009

What we should do with scripture

It's Thursday, which means tonight I have women's bible study.

I love Thursday nights. It is such a treat for me to leave Ada at home with Scott and spend time studying the word and discussing truth with women who love the Lord. It is one of my favorite times during the week.

As I already mentioned, we are studying Psalms, and specifically we are learning how to meditate on the Psalms and pray them back to God.

This weeks Psalm is 119, which is the longest chapter in the Bible. So Tim Keller has us looking at only verses 1-16 this week. The theme of the Psalm is the word of God. We begin by listing all the names and synonyms for scripture--and there are lots. Law, testimonies, precepts, statutes, commandments, and the list goes on.

Then, we are to list all of the things we are supposed to do with Scripture. It's a convicting list ya'll. Listen to this.

We are to walk in it, keep it diligently, seek it with our whole heart, keep our eyes fixed on it, learn it and guard our way according to it, store it, declare it with our lips, delight in it, meditate on it, and not forget it. Wow, right?

How little time I spend each day in the Word. Some days I spend no time in the Word. So I am thinking through what the above list looks like on a daily basis. What is the practical application here? Is is just to do my bible study every morning, or is it more than that?

I know that I must make it a priority. Especially when I am facing the task of being a wife and a mom and just living life on a daily basis. Here is where I will find truth and guidance and instruction and rebuke. And yet I spend more time watching Gilmore Girls than I do in his word. Hmmm...it gives me much to think about.

1 comment:

joy said...

Hmm.. i was convicted of a very similar thing today. our sermon was on Phil 1:19-26 How often i have thought of dying as gain, but living with the same thought..not so much. BUT if i strive to have as much intimacy with Christ on earth as i can- death is just a further satisfaction of an already existing gain..love you..Tim Keller rocks! Glad you are getting to do this study! WAR EAGLE any way!