Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The story of an old white house and the girls who lived there

let me tell you about one of my favorite places on earth--310 E. Samford Avenue in Auburn, AL.

There you will find a white house, paint peeling off, a front porch with a screen door that slams when it shuts, and a side yard just the right size for lying out during summer semester. That is where I made my best college memories.
The house had ten bedrooms in all, and we filled it from floor to ceiling with 13 girls. It was a constant sleepover, ya'll, and for the most part, we loved every minute of it. It was mostly filthy and roach infested, but we didn't really notice those minor details.
Though we have now graduated and gone our separate ways, spread from here to there and living all sorts of different lives, we continue to get together at least once a year. There is always someone missing because life has a way of intervening--nursing babies and overseas missions don't make beach weekends quite so easy--but for the most part we continue to gather and spend weekends reminiscing about the "good ole days."
And that is how I spent this past weekend, lying on the beach, laughing and talking and just being with my best college friends.

The weekend was a sort of send off for dear Katie B. who is headed to Hong Kong, where I know the Lord will use her to reach many with the gospel. Her passion for the Lord and his truth is quite contagious, so how could those students not be won over?

It was fun to tell everyone in person that I am expecting baby number two, and we got to meet another white house baby in person for the first time.

We talked about those who weren't with us--missing them and wishing they were there. We talked about the funniest times, the saddest times, and the craziest times that we spent inside the walls of that house.

Bad dates were laughed at and stories that we know by heart were told once again.

I am blessed to know these girls. The Lord has used them to shape and to teach me.
A million years ago when we were spending our senior spring break on the same beach, the girls weren't doing the "hand on the hip" thing. We were just taking normal pictures.
But we were not to be outdone by those younger than us.You think we have it?
Katie B., me, and Lindsay our last night there. We were stuffed to the gills with delicious food. Please notice my large glass of water instead of the usual diet coke. Diet Coke and I are on a temporary separation of sorts so that this baby can correctly develop inside my womb. (that is not to say that I don't treat myself to the occasional diet coke, but at the rate I was drinking it, something had to give).

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Whoa, hold up- I just realized we actually may have met in college- I went to Jeannie's wedding shower in that VERY SAME white house that you lived in with her... were you there?? Also- Is she pregnant too?

LB said...

Rachel, I guess that we did meet in college, then!! I was hostess at that shower. Crazy.

Jeannie is not pregnant; did you hear that she was? I think she and Tyler still want to wait a little while.

Rachel said...

Ha! That is so funny! Ya'll did a great job with her lingerie shower-I loved all the fine china you used, and the spinach and strawberry salad- YUM! I still remember her trying all that stuff on over her clothes :) I actually just thought I saw a little baby belly on her in those pictures- she is so tiny though- I think it was just the dress she was wearing-oops!

LB said...

Rachel--it might have been the dress, or that crazy pose that all the college girls are doing. Apparently it is supposed to make you look skinnier, but it does require you to stick your belly out, so who knows;) We were laughing so hard and felt so dumb all at the same time, as we tried to figure out exactly how we were supposed to stand.

Hollen said...

OMG I TOTALLY missed the fact that you are having another baby!! COOL COOL COOL!! :) That is so neat! Oh, I am happy that you had fun with your friends! I love the beach. LOL :) You are too cute in those pictures..I love the scarf one! (I like scarfs...HAHA)You're really pretty though. :)
Hollen

Katie B said...

yay for the WH shout out!! next time we get our matching tattoos ;) love you LB!