Saturday, January 31, 2009

CVS craziness

Well, it is super early on a Saturday morning--5:23 am to be exact. There is a pattern in my life where I get in "can't sleep" cycles. It usually happens unintentionally--I have a week where I don't get much sleep for one reason or another, then I begin to feel the affects of no sleep, then I feel the desperate need to catch up on sleep, and then I can't sleep because I am thinking so much about how I need to sleep. So...that's just a little glimpse into how my crazy mind works. I have learned over the years that it is better to get up and do something rather than just lie in bed worrying about not being asleep. Besides, it is Saturday, and my sweet husband will let me sleep in whenever I am finally able to go back to sleep. I have every intention of being somewhat rested when this day is over.

But, for now, I blog.

Yesterday was a record day at CVS. It was pure craziness, ya'll. I started the day with 20.00 in ECBs (extra care bucks), so that put me ahead from the very beginning. I rarely have that many accumulated at one time. On top of those 20 ECBs, I had a coupon for 5 off of 25, so there was obvious potential for some serious money saved.

Here is what I did

3 cases of diet pepsi--10.00
2 bags of Stacey's pita chips--6.00
2 bags of Lay's potato chips--4.00
3 bottles of maalox--@ 5.79 each
1 Benefiber chewables--6.89

-2x 1.00 off Maalox (when I am pregnant, maalox is my lifesaver, so I am stocking up, just in case I need it again in the future.)
-1x 2.00 off Maalox
-CVS coupon 5.00 off 2 maalox
-2.00 off Benefiber
-CVS coupon 3.00 off of Benefiber (no idea what Benefiber is or does, but it was a potential money maker for me, so I bought it)
-2 x 1.50 off of Pita Chips
-19.00 ECBs
-5.00 CVS coupon

total before coupons and ECBs=55.30
total after coupons and ECBs=8.57
ECBs generated from this transaction=20.00 (10 from the Pepsi products, 10 from the Maalox/benefiber products)

2nd Transaction

Again, I started with 20.00 and a 5/25.00 CVS coupon

1 Schick Intuition Razor=8.99
1 Gillette Shampoo=4.99
1 Gillette Shampoo=4.99
1 Gillette Fusion Gamer Razor=7.99
1 Almay Powder=12.79
1 CVS wipes=3.29 (we just needed these)

-1.00 off Almay
-2.00 off Gillette Shampoo
-4.99 off Gillette Shampoo (coupon for free shampoo with purchase of razor)
-2.00 off Intuition Razor
-4.00 off Gillette Fusion Razor
-5.00 CVS coupon
-20.00 ECBs

Total before coupons and ECBs=49.30
Total after coupons and ECBs=4.31
Total ECBs generated=19.00, plus a 5/25.00 coupon (3.00 from each of the Gillette Shampoo, 4.00 from each of the razors, 5.00 from the Almay makeup)

So, bottom line, I got 100.00 worth of merchandise for about 12.00. Ya'll, this couponing stuff, it's a high. I am telling you. Sad, I know, but so very true.

The best part is, I still have 19.00 in ECBs. Because I am attempting to not grocery shop and eat out of our stockpile, I think I am going to use the 19.00 to buy any necessities we might have for the week. It is more expensive to buy groceries at CVS, but since it will be no money out of pocket, it is really better for our bank account. If I really can make it without grocery shopping this week, my total on groceries for the week will be 12.00!!! A personal record. I think it can be done, thanks to couponing and the CVS game.

Here you will see how others did at CVS this week.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! That is great! You are a superstar! I have been a little discouraged by CVS lately, but this encourages me to get back in the grove. Thanks!

Jessica said...

okay, so my cvs lady wouldn't let me get the free shampoo because she said I had to buy a cartridge..I know she was wrong..I even pointed out to her how it says a Fusion or fusion cartridge..but she didn't listen..so I didn't want to make a scene and there were people behind me...so sad...but I didn't do too bad...great shopping for you though!

Ashley said...

That's awesome! I only wish I was that good! ;)

Suehaad said...

Incredible! During my trip they didn't want to use the $3/15 coupon or the $4/20 coupon, so I went to a different CVS, and the next cashier took them. Your tip must have required a lot of planning, but it sure did pay off! Wow.