Monday, January 26, 2009

How I do it


I get lots of questions about how I save the amount of money that I save at the grocery store, so I decided to let you get a glimpse into our couponing/stock piling lives.

First, collect those coupons. Remember, I actually buy five newspapers total so that I can have five copies of each coupon. Sometimes I wish that I had more copies than that, but it is getting a bit out of control.
Next, you have to stockpile. IT IS KEY. I hear lots of people say, they didn't have anything that I needed. Which may be true, but it depends on what you mean by need. Do you mean that you will never need it, or you don't need it this week? I most likely will never need dog food, so I don't clip those coupons, and I don't buy it when it's on sale. On the other hand, I won't need toothpaste for a good three months, but one day I will need it, so when I can get it for free, I buy it, even if I don't need it that week. I intend to never pay for toiletries again. There is no need. Here is why.




7 comments:

Ann said...

Wow! That's pretty crazy. Your freezer looks so different from the last time I was there, even. That picture of Ada is so, so funny!

Katie said...

Laura Beth, you have inspired me and I have resolved to start the grocery game! I am going to start collecting my coupons first, and then sign up for a free trial! (your suggestion!) I think I finally understand saving, stock piling, and using coupons and I am ready to apply what I have learned! You are such a big help and this post could not have come at a better time!

Katie said...

Laura Beth, you have inspired me and I have resolved to start the grocery game! I am going to start collecting my coupons first, and then sign up for a free trial! (your suggestion!) I think I finally understand saving, stock piling, and using coupons and I am ready to apply what I have learned! You are such a big help and this post could not have come at a better time!

Ashley Turnbull said...

Very helpful! Thanks for sharing. My pantry and tolietrie cabinet looks similar, but I am inspired to pay even less after our email!

Jenny said...

Laura, I'm thinking about doing a post like yours on my blog (I'm also hounded by friends on how it works) about couponing & stockpiling. Would you mind if I put a link to this post on my page? I use a binder with baseball card slots, so I'd like to put a shot of a shoebox method.
I'd appreciate it!
Jenny

LB said...

Jenny--

I clicked on your name to try to get to your blog, but couldn't get there. Please feel free to link to this post. I would be honored:)

Jenny said...

Sorry! It's www.andrewthomasmanley.blogspot.com

Thank you!