Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Quick and easy recipe

I said that I would be back yesterday with recipes, but, of course, that never happened. So, here I am, with the recipe for tonight's dinner. This is courtesy of Lindsey Slagley. A while back I asked readers to share easy, inexpensive recipes, and I received a wealth of easy dinners to fix for the family.

Creamy Pork Chops or Beef Tips

Boneless pork chops/beef stew meat (we are using pork chops bought on sale at Publix)
Lay meat in the bottom of crockpot (love crockpot meals that can be assembled while Ada is napping!!)
Pour one can of cream of mushroom into the pot (2 cans for more gravy) and then splash the inside of the can with water and add that to the pot (1/4 of the can)
add one envelope of dry onion soup mix

cook on high 3-4 hours
serve over rice or pasta (we are using rice that I already had in the pantry), and I am opening up a can of peas to add some green to the meal.

I will add that I used very thin pork chops, so I probably should have cooked it on low, so use your own judgement based on the thickness of your meat.

3 comments:

The Hams said...

LB,
I have a recipe that is really similar to this one and super tasty!
1 lb. of beef stew meat
1 can of Cream of Mushroom
1 can of French Onion soup

Mix all 3 together and cook it on 325 in the oven (covered) for about 3 hours and serve over rice or pasta. I have done it in the crockpot before as well and it was just as good! I haven't ever tried it with pork, but clearly I need to!
Don't you just love a quick, yummy recipe!! With twins on the way, I need lots of good easy meals to cook =)Thanks for sharing!

Jenny said...

LB,
I've been reading your blog for a while now, and signed up for the Grocery Game. I want to list you as my referral to help you get your 12 weeks free! My blog is at www.andrewthomasmanley.blogspot.com, if you'd like to leave your email address so I can put you as my referral!
Thank you for the great blogs!
Jenny

Becca said...

Okay I have a recipe too:

Beef and Veggie 'Comfort Soup'

1 white or yellow onion, diced
1 lb ground beef
minced garlic
crushed red pepper
beef bouillon cubes
herbs de provence (these are *key*--don't be shy about the herbs!)
frozen peas
frozen green beans (i prefer french cut for this)
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 reg. size can of diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans
1 can white beans or chickpeas
1 or 2 handfuls of pasta (orzo works well; shells work ok)

add to taste:
black pepper
olive oil
plain tomato sauce to thicken

Saute the onion and beef together with the garlic and crushed red pepper in some red wine.

When beef is cooked, add the veggies and herbs/spices; add water in 1/2 cup increments, depending on how brothy you want the soup.

Add the pasta after the soup reaches a simmer. The soup is ready when the pasta is cooked.

This looks like it has a lot of ingredients, but I bet you have almost everything in your freezer/cabinet already. It is even better the next day.

My 3 favorite things about this soup are:
--it only takes one pot.
--it lasts for several meals and freezes well.
--it has balanced nutrition and isn't full of empty calories.

Hope y'all have a change to use this, and enjoy it. :)