Monday, January 12, 2009

Update on the 2009 "goals"

Remember the goals I set for 2009? I planned to evaluate the week's progress every Sunday, but the time got away from me yesterday, with church and tutoring and community group and figuring out meals, well it just didn't happen. So, here I am a day late, to reflect on the past week and set new baby step goals for this week.

Let's start with successes--My sink was clean and my dishwasher loaded every single night. And, I made my bed every morning as soon as I woke up. Scott told me that it takes 28 days for something to become a habit (I think that's right), so I am determined to do those two things for 28 days without missing a day. Seven days down.

Not so successful, however, was my plan to wake up early. As you know, I did wake up early on Sunday (accidentally), and I absolutely loved being up before the rest of the house. It was so quiet and peaceful, and by the time Scott and Ada woke up I was in a great mood and ready to start the day. We'll see if I can continue to wake up at that early hour. It really depends on what time I am able to go to bed at night, so I am taking it one morning at a time.

Note: this morning both Scott and I woke up late because neither of us remembered to set the alarm. Oh well.

Other goal from this past week--one diet coke a day. Oh dear, how I wish I didn't have to report on this one. It was not good, ya'll. In my defense, which really there is none, there were two different nights when Ada woke up all night long and I needed something to get me through those days. So, we're keeping that goal. IT HAS TO HAPPEN.

Steps to making it happen this week--drink 4 bottles of water a day. I think that if I focus on drinking more water rather than less diet coke, it will be easier to make it happen. Like a positive rather than negative goal. We'll see. So, that is the goal for this week. Nothing to do with diet coke, just water. I can drink however much diet coke I want, but I have to drink four bottles of water. There is no way I can drink tons of both--it's just not possible. I'll let you know.

As far as the housekeeping goes. I need to continue the kitchen cleaning and bed making. I will continue to try to wake up early. I really think it would be beneficial for everyone. But, I do want to tweak the goal. If I don't wake up, my goal is then to do my bible study as soon as Ada goes down for her nap. Ideally, it will happen first thing in the morning, but because life happens, plan B is naptime.

The housekeeping/homemaking goal that I am adding this week is this--one load of laundry put away every day. The reason I just say put away is because I have no problem getting it washed and dried, it's the folding and putting a way that trips me up. We have piles of clean clothes covering our bedroom. So that I don't feel overwhelmed, I plan to put up one load a day.

And that is all I am adding. I want this to work, I really do, so I think the smaller the goals the better. Slowly but surely, I will get the house in order.

And if any of you readers have any advice for what has worked for you, please share.

4 comments:

lifeduringnaptime said...

Glad to hear I am not the only one who piles clean clothes in the MBR!
http://www.lifeduringnaptime.com/?p=156
One trick that helps me get back on track when the clean laundry accumulates, is my hubby & I tackle it together over a cup of hot tea or coffee & talk about the day. The laundry gets folded plus we get "quality" time together!

julie said...

I understand your diet coke addiction. I've gone through quitting diet coke twice now. Both times it worked best to go cold turkey. I know it sounds impossible but after 2-3 days you will be off of it.. at least that's the way it worked for me. I still crave it a lot but try to only drink it once a week or less. And when I do it makes me all jittery and I don't like the way that feels!

Amy said...

I'm on a 1-a-day diet coke (actually my drink of choice is coke zero) diet. I roll out of bed and go straight to the fridge, it's sad. Anyhow, I used to drink way more and it was bad. You can do it! I don't know if you get headaches or even migraines, but if so, cutting back can really help. My energy level also increased after I decreased the caffeine- weird I know, but there were none of those 'down I need a coke now' bad moments. (I twice have gone cold turkey with no coke but was not able to sustain these periods for more than a couple of months- I've been doing one coke a day for over a year now)

Bethany said...

Going over budget this week seems to be a thing going around. We went to Publix, Kroger, and Walgreens today. Spent too much. :(
Sorry I wasn't able to join you at the library today. My mom and aunt are in town but leaving tomorrow. If you guys are going next week, I'll be there. Also, did you find someone to go to the Aquarium with you? We love going there! We went back in September and Caroline LOVED it! Be warned...the food costs more than the admission!!!