Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Things are getting a bit crazy in the Moore house

As you all know (because I talk about it in every post), we are some budget-following, deal-seeking fools here at the Moore home. I have learned to enjoy living this way, but I first started this new hobby of mine out of necessity. We are on a quest to save money, get out of debt, and free up some cash in the budget. For so many reasons--some of our own doing, some purely circumstantial--we have found ourselves in a tight spot, and we are doing everything in our power to work our way out of it, and learn as much financial wisdom in the process as we possibly can. If at all possible, we don't want to find ourselves here again:)

To aid in this quest, I have taken on after school tutoring jobs. This serves many purposes. One, I get out of the house, and I get to use my degrees. This does quite a bit for my morale. It can do a number on a mom to do nothing but change diapers and sing Itsy Bitsy Spider all day long. We have also started chanting and dancing to bible verses, but I will save that story for another post:) Anyway, I think that even if we did not need the extra money, I would enjoy tutoring for a few hours every week. However, we do need the extra money, and, in fact, Dave Ramsey tells us that we need to be gazelle intense until all of that debt is paid off (not including the mortgage). So...I am taking on two more students in addition to the ones I was already tutoring. Plus...I tutor online through Tutor.com. I get paid twice as much to tutor in homes, but I want to hang on to the online tutoring job for seasons of my life (pregnancy, newborn, etc. etc.) when getting out of the house every afternoon may not be as feasible. All of that to say, the schedule is getting a bit hectic, and I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

Here is what I am looking at

Monday--3:30-4:30, tutor
4:30-5:00, drive across town
5:00-6:30, tutor
6:30-7:00, drive home
7:00-9:00, tutor online
9:00-11:00, down time before bed

and this schedule pretty much repeats itself until Friday night, when I get a break.

To top it all off, in order for Scott to be home in time for me to go tutor, he has to get to work at the crack of dawn, meaning he has to go to bed super early. So, like I said, things are getting a bit insane around our house.

Obviously, this is not an ideal situation, but we are very thankful that one, we are in a place where I am able to tutor this much, and two, that I have the tutoring jobs at all. We plan to dig our heels in, and go full force until summer, and then, of course, things will slow down. It's just a few months, and the rewards far outweigh the cost. I am typing all of this to remind myself of these things:)

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed today, so I thought it would be helpful to remind myself of the goals we have. One, most of all, I want to stay at home with Ada. This is making that possible. Two, I want to one day have more than one child (obviously), and our schedules will be crazier, and I won't have the freedom to do this. Now is the time to get out of debt. Three, my tutoring prevents Scott from getting a second job. Ada gets quality time with both of us. Scott and I both feel like that is important. And, we both have the weekends completely free, so we can soak up family time then. Finally, we are learning so much through this process, and if it were easier, I don't think the lessons would be as memorable.

1 comment:

jane said...

sounds incredibly hard... but i know the pay off will be worth it when you have two kids and can't keep that up, and are so much closer to freedom from debt...
bravo! keep it up!