Saturday, January 10, 2009

Oh how I love CVS

Though I did well with the grocery shopping this weekend, a few "extra" situations have caused the grocery money to dwindle for the next two weeks--dinner out with friends, co-hosting a baby shower, etc. etc, so I am determined to get super creative with all of the stock piled items that I already have in the pantry.

I had this big plan to do my stock pile shopping, then meal plan, then go out to buy the few extras I needed on top of what was already in the pantry and fridge. Problem is, after the stockpiling and eating out and baby showering, there is zero cash left. So...I made a list of everything that is in my pantry and fridge, and I am going to see what I can do with what I already have. The good news is that I have quite a bit to work with, and it's sort of fun to do this. Like a challenge.

But before I go into all that, I must share a story that represents why I love CVS so much.

I am quite the regular at my local CVS. I have three within five minutes of my house, but there is one that I go to the most regularly, and the workers have gotten to know Ada and me. There is one worker in particular,who I have become quite chummy with. She helps me figure out how to stretch my ECBs, and we compare notes on couponing and deal finding. Well, today I went in to CVS with a total of 20 dollars left in the budget, and I needed at least 5.00 left over after my shopping trip. So 15.00 to spend. I had a 3 off 15 coupon, but it expired yesterday. (I didn't realize that until I was in the car on the way to CVS). As soon as I entered the store, I spotted "my lady," and I asked her if I could still use it. She told me to find her when I was ready to check out and she would take care of it. So, I figured out my transactions, and headed to the front. Here are my transactions

First
4 bottles of baby tylenol=6.00 each
- 2 2.50 off of two coupons
-4 ECBs
-3/15.00 coupon

total OOP=13.15

Received 10 ECBs

Second Transaction

CVS baby wipes 2.00
1 twin pack Ziploc freezer bags 5.99
1 twin pack Fiber One bars 6.99

- 2 .50 off Fiber One
- 1 3.00 off CVS coupon
-10 ECBs

Total OOP=1.19

Received 5 ECBs

So, at this point I had reached my cash limit, but Scott and I made a joint decision to go ahead with the next transaction and use the debit card. I was glad he was there because I would have been stressed out:)

3rd Transaction

4 Welchs White Grape juice @ 2.99 each
2 Johnsons Vanilla Oatmeal Baby wash @ 2.99 each
1 Atlanta Journal Constitution @ 2.00

-3 1.00 off Welch's (sadly, I couldn't find my fourth)
-2 2.00 off Johnson's
-5 ECBs

=8.71 OOP

Okay, so a good deal, right? Well, I wasn't planning on buying the Johnson's products because they aren't a need. I use the wash as bubble bath for Ada, and it's something I rarely buy. I had 1.00 off Johnson's coupons, but I planned to use those to purchase free buddies soap. Well, my sweet cashier asked me if I had gotten the Johnson's 2.00 coupons off of the BJ's insert in this past week's paper. I responded that I didn't know I could use BJs coupons at CVS. And she told me that as long as the coupon says manufacturers coupon, it can be used anywhere. And then she turned around, pulled out her coupon stash, and she handed me two Johnson's coupons!! I then ran to the back and got the vanilla baby wash. And that, my friends, is why I love my CVS!! I purchased two bottles of Johnson's baby wash for .99 each because my kind cashier gave me her coupons!! Isn't that a great couponing story? Scott said that when I ran to the back to get the wash, he told the cashier that I should pay her for all of her help. And she responded, "no way, we are all one big family." That made me laugh. We are, aren't we? A big couponing, cvsing family. Ha:)

Back to the BJs coupons, though. I may be wrong, but I think this means that you can use the Publix 3.00 off Similac from this past week's paper at any store!! So that means a store where it may have a cheaper shelf price. It's worth a shot!! I usually discard the BJs coupons without even seeing what they are. No more my friends. (If you aren't familiar, BJs is a warehouse store similar to Costco)

I will be back later to discuss stockpile purchases and what I am cooking for the next two weeks, using that stockpile. If you aren't a CVSer already, please let the above story inspire you to become one.

And for more CVS scenarios, check out The Centsible Sawyer.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Great story! Which one is your regular one? I go to the one at the corner of 42 and Eagle's Landing Parkway. I should start using yours! That's good to know about the BJ's coupons. I saved them from this week because they did say MQ on them but wasn't sure if they would work. I was going to use the Splenda one tomorrow at Publix (we are BIG coffee drinkers).
I just can't get over how sweet that cashier was...you should email CVS and brag on her! :)
Great deals!

Jessica said...

Great story! I had no idea tylenol was a ECB generator! I would have totally done that! We go through that stuff like water!!! Oh and Publix does not take expired coupons..I asked my lady today. So sad. Great to know about the BJs though!

Suehaad said...

i didn't even think of printing out more than one of the CVS $3 coupons. duh.

Suehaad said...

i just read iheartcvs and you did better than she did this week. you should seriously be famous!