Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Worth Reading: A Prayer For Our New President

I, like the majority of the world I am sure, am watching the Inauguration. Ada is sleeping upstairs, and I can't help but think about the fact that it will only be normal to her to have an African American President, and I praise God for that fact. She will not know anything different, I suppose. It gives me chills (not to be cliche) and brings tears to my eyes. It is an historical moment, to say the least. There are, however, huge areas in which I disagree with President Obama, and I am thankful for the guidance of men much wiser than me to lead me in knowing how to pray and think about the President and his family, in light of those differences in opinion.

Here you will find a prayer by Albert Mohler, that I find very helpful. I pray that the Lord would convict me to spend time in prayer for our country and our leadership. I tend to be quite self-centered, caught up in my own little world here inside the walls of my house. I pray that the Lord would burden me to spend much time on my knees for our country, the country in which my children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren and generations after that will grow up.

This year Scott and I have committed to memorizing scripture--something new every week. In light of what is happening in our country today, I think I will memorize this verse this week

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. 1 Timothy 2:1-2

p.s. I found the above link at Biblical Womanhood, one of my absolute favorite blogs.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I, too, am loving the whole coverage of the Inauguration.

Love all the history in the making.

There are a couple of personal ironies for me - but will tell you via email or phone.

MOM